THE PROGRAM STRUCTURE
The program is built around two major components: documented on-the-job training (OJT), which is provided by the contractor, and classroom/related instruction, which takes place in the fall and winter months. The classes are offered once a week (3 hrs each session). The program is designed to be a 3 - 4 year program. An indentured apprentice is required to validate 6,000 - 8,000 hours of OJT and 144 hours annually of related instruction during the duration of the program. Contractors can grant OJT time for prior work experience.
STATEWIDE AVAILABILITY TO ALL CARPENTERS
The apprenticeship program can be delivered anywhere in the state with a minimum of five students. This is the preferred method; however, a correspondence program can also be established for smaller companies located in rural areas of the state. We have added an online component allowing students to login remotely to participate in class sessions.
BUREAU OF APPRENTICESHIP & TRAINING REGISTRATION
Participating contractors and their apprentices enroll with the Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training making them a part of the National Apprenticeship Program. Individuals satisfactorily completing the program will have the journey man in the carpentry trade area.
COST OF THE PROGRAM
The only cost to the apprentice is the time and effort he/she puts into the program. You can make a rewarding and profitable career out of your present job with this opportunity to develop the skills and know-how necessary to succeed in the construction industry. Tuition and textbook costs are subject to change and are based on annual AGC Board action.
WHAT IS APPRENTICESHIP?
- First and foremost - It's a job
- Referred to as Industry Training System: A person acquired the skills necessary to become proficient in the trade under the tutelage of a master practitioner.
- An agreement between the employer and the employee
- Provides clearly defined standards which are commonly recognized throughout the industry
- Apprentice earns while he/she learns
- Provides the apprentice with progressive wage increments
- Contributes to America's economic development and growth; very successful in providing highly skilled workers
WHAT ARE THE APPRENTICE ADVANTAGES?
- Identifies detailed and planned training schedule
- Local, State and National Recognition
- Improved job security
- Provides incentive for self improvement
- Long-term commitment by employer
- Assures appropriate related instructing
- Opportunity to achieve Journey person status
- Provides an increasing scale of wages
- "Earn while your Learn"
Assures OJT by a skilled journey person